We are committed to ensuring early identification of Special Educational needs. We use the Special education needs code of Practice (2014) as guidance throughout our methods of meeting all children’s needs. Sue Heald is our Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENDco). She works closely with parents, practitioners and the Early Years SEND team at Central Beds. When we have concerns regarding a child’s development, a meeting is set up between parents, the child’s keyworker and Sue H to see what support can be offered and whether we need to ask for additional support from the Central Beds SEND team. A SEND support plan is written in consultation with parents and reviewed every 6 to 8 weeks. Parents are consulted and supported throughout this time.
Support we provide
Each child has different Special Educational needs and we ensure that each plan is set to each child’s individual needs. This support includes small group activities, One to one support, Visual timetables, Schedule boards, British Sign Language support, Advice and guidance from Central Beds SEND team, Strategies set out in the SEND plan to name a few.
Our Specialist Staff.
At Woodentops we have staff that have specialised in a variety of areas.
- All our staff are Paediatric First Aid trained.
- Sue H has the 3 day SENDco training and attends additional Send training and conferences. Sue is experienced in leading SEND plans, Early Help Assessment and Early Health Care Plans.
- We have 2 Lift off to Language accredited specialists working with two groups- 2 year olds (Jackie) and 3 to 4 year olds (Karen). Karen is our Communication Coordinator and has level 3 in Communication, Speech and Language. We are a Communication Friendly setting.
- Jackie, Karen and Sue H are Designated safeguarding Officers.
- Kathryn is a Early Years Teacher and has Forest School training.
- Michelle is our Behaviour Manager and has attended behaviour management training.
- Karen is our mentor specialist, mentoring apprentices and students.
We currently have 3 one to one specialist- Maria, Chloe and Danielle.